Utilizing the Microsoft Symbol Server

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Edited Aug 11, 2010 at 6:54 PM

First, thank you for this great library. I just had a quick question, and I am hoping that somebody could help me out. I am current trying to use the MS Symbol Server with the library when getting the stack trace of a dump, however the symbols do not seem to be loading correctly, where as I am able to pass the exact same parameters as command line arguments in WinDbg, and I get the expected stack. Does anyone know of how one would accomplish this? I have tried with the following:

string dumpLocation = @"C:\MyCrash.dmp";
string symbols = @"SRV*C:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;";
symbols + = @"C:\MyProject\MyPDBFiles";
string images = @"C:\MyProject\Bin";
Debuggee dbgObj = Debuggee.OpenDumpFile(dumpLocation, symbols);
dbgObj.ImagePath = images;
DbgFrame[] f2 = dbgObj.GetEventStackTrace();
// More code }}

Thank you in advance for any direction,
Dennis

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2010 at 3:43 AM
Edited Oct 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Sorry for the delay, I've experienced the same problem that you're describing, but for me it was not essential enough so that I spend time to fix it. Now as someone else needed it I've fixed the problem in my today's checkin. The only thing that prevented it from working was the absence  of the right symsrv.dll

Besides other things the latest checkin updates the Debugging Tools for Windows libraries and migrates to Visual Studio 2010.

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Thank you for the update. I changed machines and that ended-up fixing the problem, but I did not know why, and like you, it did not warrant more time investigating. However, I will update to the new code.

Thanks again for all the work that you have put into this.